Good news for San Miguel County residences and outdoor enthusiasts, the new Thunder Trails outside of Norwood, CO are now open!
The Thunder Trails System is open to hikers, mountain bikers, dirt bikers and horseback riders.
Enjoy the 19 miles of single track in the Thunder Trails system just outside of Norwood, Colorado. There are four interconnecting trail loops that offer fun and challenge for all. The trails west of Thunder Road (Forest Road 609) provide a rockier, more technical riding experience and offer views of Naturita Canyon. The trails east of Thunder Road travel through the ponderosa pine forest and open meadows, providing a smoother, faster ride. Learn more about these trails here.
Trail System Brochure: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3842957.pdf
Trail System Map: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3842955.pdf
The trail system is located about 4 miles south of Norwood. From Grand Ave/Main Street in Norwood:
- Travel to the far west end of Grand Avenue
- Turn left on Aspen Street (CR 42ZS) and travel south 1 mile. (See large brown “National Forest Access” sign).
- Turn right onto Y43 Road, travel 1/2 mile.
- Turn left on CR 41.5Y Road, travel south 1.7 miles
- Turn right onto FSR 609, travel 1.2 miles to the Thunder Trails Trailhead parking area