We need your help! The Opt in for Trails campaign directly supports funding for ongoing trail maintenance and new trail projects in the Telluride region. Opt in for Trails today, and together, we’ll create a better trail system for tomorrow!
Why Opt in for Trails?
Telluride does not have perpetual funding in place to maintain current trails, construct new trails, create a cohesive signage program, replace bridges and more. Our regional trails are continually experiencing increased use as our population and tourism numbers grow. At the same time, United States Forest Service (USFS) budgets are dwindling and no other entities are taking on the responsibility of financial planning for recreation on our public lands. Now is the time to work together to create a funding stream before it’s too late.
Did you know?
It costs upwards of $35,000 to construct one mile of new trail in the Telluride region. On top of that, it costs $1,000 to maintain one mile of trail annually. With no funding plan in place, the Telluride Mountain Club has created Opt in for Trails as a fundraising mechanism to help maintain and enhance our public lands and outdoor recreation resources.
How it Works
Funds are raised through participating businesses and direct donations. We invite you to join the cause. Participating businesses become the vehicle for customers to donate at checkout via one of the following:
1) a voluntary 1% donation,
2) by a round-up option at checkout
3) a custom option that works best for your business.
4) direct donations – donate here!
The donation option of choice is integrated into the participating business’s POS (set-up is complementary via Opt in for Trails). Participating businesses are supplied with rack cards and posters to provide information to their customers at checkout. Participating businesses won’t have to worry about any extra costs to their business or administrative work because the program is funded by customers and is only collected and passed through by the business.
Current Participating Businesses
- Box Canyon Bicycles – Round-up on bike rentals. Thank you Box Canyon Bicycles who has donated over $1,644 so far!
- Jagged Edge Mountain Gear – All TMtC hat and t-shirt sales support Opt in for Trails – In September 2020, Jagged Edge donated $3,800 from Via Ferrata equipment sales to Opt in for Trails and the Via Ferrata Sustainability Fund!
- Stronghouse Brew Pub – Thank you to Stronghouse who donated $877 in 2021!
- Telluride Tourism Board (TTB) – All 2021 Telluride Calendar proceeds benefit Opt in for Trails. Purchase your calendar at Between the Covers in Telluride. In January, the TTB donated $5,860.80 to Opt in for Trails.
- Timberline Ace Hardware (certain months only) – In July 2020, Ace contributed $2,122.69 via 4,235 people who rounded up. Thanks to those who donated!
When visiting these businesses, we hope you will consider a 1% or round up donation at checkout!
There is no restriction on businesses or individuals that can participate, nor are there any commitments on how much your business must contribute. TMtC is seeking partnerships through the Opt in for Trails campaign from restaurants, retail shops, realtors, building industry contractors, lodges/hotels, health/wellness/beauty service providers, property managers, guiding companies, landscapers, educational institutions, other nonprofits and more. We invite anyone and everyone to get involved and Opt in for Trails. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and to get started.