Tonight, July 25, is the Mountain Club’s Annual Membership BBQ, and will be, for most members, the first time they’ll meet me, Beth Kelly, as the newest addition to the TMC Family.
One of the items I’m most excited about, for tonight’s gathering, is to announce TMC’s intentions for a stronger Membership program in the next year.
If you renew your membership tonight, you might notice that we’re adding more Membership Levels and increasing the “Individual” amount by $5. By increasing the minimum and adding more ways to donate, we hope to grow a stronger membership and organization.
What we’ve accomplished, thanks to Membership, in the last year:
• Convince the U.S. Forest Service that recognizing and preserving Telluride’s Via Ferrata route was better than closing and removing it
• Hire an Executive Director
• Celebrate the grand opening of the Rock of Ages trail to Wilson Peak that TMC helped restore access to along with the Trust For Public Land and U.S. Forest Service
• Put continued pressure on the U.S. Forest Service to re-open the Gold Hill backcountry access gates above the Telluride ski area
• Work with the Telluride High School and Telluride Academy to re-open the Community Climbing Wall
A Look to the Future, TMC in the Next Year:
• Expand advocacy for hikers and hiking-trail expansion
• Host social events to raise awareness of public land access issues
• Develop sub-committees to focus and expand on specific areas of interest
• Continue to replace old bolts and anchors on climbing routes
• Keep the community climbing wall open through the winter season
• Help restore access to the ski area in pre- and post-seasons
• Work with the Forest Service and other entities to Free Bear Creek!
These accomplishments would/will not be possible without the support of our members. I hope to see you tonight at the BBQ at Town Park, 5p.m. and to answer any questions you might have!