We caught up with the project manager from SMPA on the Galloping Goose project. Here’s what we know:
Galloping Goose Update 9.29.17
- SMPA is working with San Miguel County, USFS and an environmental specialist to make sure the project is put to environmental standards accordingly.
- SMPA will be working with moving dirt and rocks in the coming weeks to make sure everything is slated correctly for revegetation.
- Revegetation is likely to occur in the next three weeks, hopefully before winter hits.
- Before SMPA re-seeds the area, SMBA and TMtC will walk the Galloping Goose to paint a line for the new trail. Re-seeding will occur outside of this new trail corridor. Once the seed goes down, it will be very important that you don’t walk where the re-seeidng is taking place, but only along the new trail corridor.
Galloping Goose Update 9.23.17
- The full re-build and re-vegetation will occur throughout the next few weeks.
- Re-seeding will likely occur in October
- The “on the ground” portion of the project is almost complete, please be patient.
- There will be a lot of restoration to come in the next month. SMPA will be working with San Miguel County and the USFS to work through all environmental concerns. There is a full re-vegetation plan that will be met.
- Power crews will be removing the overhead wire in the next week (maybe two).
- SMPA will most certainly be following up on all of their work zones to re-veg the areas, clean up, and restore the environment back to its previous condition.
- Skunk to Lawson – there is a lot of cleanup going on in this area.
What about trails?
- There will be periodic trail closures over the next few weeks while SMPA goes in to do this re-veg and grading work.
SMPA would like to thank everyone for their patience during this process. It’s tough for everyone, but we will have an opportunity to make the Galloping Goose trail better during the re-vegetation process!